Basic Coordination Centre (hereafter BCC) performs functions of National Operations Centre (Resource infrastructure Provider) of grid resources at the technical and operational level of the Ukrainian National Grid project (hereafter UNG). The Coordinating Committee of the Ukraine State Program on establishing and maintaining a permanent grid-infrastructure (hereafter - the Project) provides BCC with power to represent the interests of UNG on an international level.
BCC, according to the Laws of Ukraine, has the legal right to sign the agreements under a power of attorney from the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, that is a core institution of the Project.
Ukrainian National Grid project focuses on two inter-related goals:
• Implementing a long-term sustainability model rooted on the concept of National Grid Initiatives (NGI);
• Supporting Virtual Research Communities (VRC) with the suited e-Infrastructure and Application-related Services required for their research.
Background to BCC (Base Coordination Centre)
BCC is a nonstructural subdivision of the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, which is the basic organization for the implementation of the Project, namely the Ukrainian National Grid (UNG).
BCC provides management and coordination of works on supporting the operation of the national grid-infrastructure and resource centres (grid-sites) to provide grid-services (high-performance distributed computing, access to distributed database, access to software) to users.
BCC on technological and operational level coordinates the work of grid-sites and entire UNG grid-infrastructure with the requirements of European and international grid-infrastructure.
BCC on technological and operational level serves as the National Operations Centre(Resource infrastructure Provider) of UNG grid-resources in relation with the International grid-communities.
BCC has the right to conclude international agreements in the field of cooperation at the operational level, which shall enter into force after ratification by the Project (Program) Coordinating Committee.
BCC and UNG relationship
Basic Coordination Centre performs functions of the National Operations Centre (Resource infrastructure Provider) of grid-resources for technological and operational level of UNG project.
Project Coordinating Council and Coordination Committee of the UNG project are governing bodies in relation to BCC.
Ukrainian National Grid is the targeted state scientific and technological project (program) on the development and implementation of grid-technologies for 2009-2013, adopted by the Cabinet of Minicters of Ukraine in 2009.
The project objective is to build a national grid-infrastructure and to introduce grid-technologies in all areas of scientific, social and economic activities in Ukraine, as well as to train specialists on grid-technologies.
The missions of the project are:
- Introduction and application of grid-technologies in scientific research, creation of conditions for implementation of grid-technologies in the economy, industry, finance, social sphere.
- Creation of multilevel interdepartmental grid-infrastructure with elements of centralized control that takes into account the peculiarities for use of grid-technologies in various fields.
- Creation of specialist training system to work with grid-technologies.
The following management bodies are created for project control:
- Interdepartmental Coordinating Council, which defines the general principles of development, grid infrastructure program and operational plans;
- Project Coordination Committee, which is the executive body and has the authority to represent the national grid-infrastructure at the national and international levels.
Basic Coordination Centre, which is responsible for operation of the national grid-infrastructure.
The Basic Coordination Centre includes:
- Centre for monitoring of grid-infrastructure and registration of grid-sites;
- Centre for registration of virtual organizations and members of virtual organizations;
- Certification authority;
- International relations group;
- Scientific and analysis group;
- Technical assistance and middleware maintenance group;
- User support group;
- Study and training centre.
At the moment the grid infrastructure of Ukraine consists of:
- 31 grid-sites, which operate under control of ARC middleware;
- 3 grid-sites, which operate under control of gLite middleware in the EGI infrastructure. The regional operations centre of Russia currently supports these sites. The communication channel infrastructure is established, which maintains the grid-clusters. UARNET and URAN are providers of this infrastructure.
Currently, for the purpose of UNG project implementation, BCC in association with resource centres:
- Organize a certificate issuing centre with regional affiliates;
- Install a sites availability monitoring system with daily testing of ARC infrastructure sites (The system is in test mode, at the end of 2011 will enter into commercial operation);
- Install the answer system to user questions , as a regional part of overall EGI Help desk system (GGUS). (The system is in test mode, at the end of 2011 will enter into commercial operation);
- Install the central service of ARC information system - GIIS and the grid-sites monitoring system for ARC infrastructure;
- Install the VOMS server for maintenance of virtual organizations working in Ukraine;Install a training grid-infrastructure, as part of an international training grid, on the basis of the gLite and ARC.
Background to BITP (Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics)
Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine is the basic organization for the implementation of the Project UNG. Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine created BCC legally, according to the Laws of Ukraine Members of the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine participate in the program for implementation of grid-technologies since 2005.
The Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine takes part in theoretical studies related to the experiments at CERN, including:
- Processing and analysis of experimental data on hadron - hadron and nuclear-nuclear collisions in Large Hadron Collider (ALICE, ATLAS and TOTEM experiments) and Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC);
- Comparison of theoretical models of quark-gluon plasma occurrence with experimental data.
The cluster, which is part of international grid-networks WLCG and AliEn-grid (http://alimonitor.cern.ch/), is functioning at the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. The Institute is involved in computer maintenance of ALICE experiment at CERN. The second cluster, which is part of the UNG project and part of the NorduGrid collaboration (http://www.nordugrid.org/), is also functioning at the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.